Curry's Auto Service, one of the largest independent auto service and repair shops in the Washington, D.C., area, has partnered with Automotive Research and Design (AR&D) to form a new joint venture exclusively for hybrid vehicles, called The Hybrid Shop (THS).
This new service will specialize in serving the hybrid segment of the automotive aftermarket, and will bring an environmentally-sound alternative to battery replacement to restore hybrid battery power for greater fuel economy, cost savings, and vehicle performance. This new service offering brings unprecedented opportunities for revenue growth and innovation through a complete dealer package now available.
The hybrid vehicle market has experienced a continued upward growth trajectory in recent years. In 2013, there are:
• More than 2.7 million hybrids on the road;
• 57 new models available for purchase by various automobile manufacturers; and
• Hybrid vehicles account for approximately 4 percent of the total new car market.
The U.S. Department of Energy forecasts that the hybrid vehicle market will grow more than 10 percent by 2015, with the number of new models produced expected to double, and even triple over the next 10 years.
First Landing Auto Care, Virginia Beach, Va.; Lloyd's Tire and Auto, Santa Cruz, Calif.; Fifth Gear Automotive, Lewisville, Texas; and Good Works Auto Repair, Tempe, Ariz., are the first dealers to have gone through The Hybrid Shop's 4-day on site technician training, Hybrid Electric Vehicle Maintenance, Service, and Diagnostics Course. They are now all fully certified to provide the battery conditioning service.
The Hybrid Shop dealer opportunities available also provide shop owners and dealer partners with a variety of new revenue streams and areas for continued business growth in the expanding hybrid market, including:
• Battery conditioning and rebuiling
• Motor-generator (electronic machine) testing, diagnosis and replacement
• Power inverter and control system testing
• dc-dc converter testing
• Other hybrid specific maintenanc
• Normal vehicle maintenance
Dealer opportunities are available to existing shop owners that desire to add hybrid vehicle services to their current offerings. THS offers two participation options, dealer or affiliate partner. A dealer can expect to:
• Bring a complementary business to their existing business
• Become a leading expert on hybrid repair and technology
• Tap into the fastest- growing segment of the auto repair market and deliver a green, environmental friendly service that will translate into as much as 85 percent gross profit for their dealerships
• Receive area exclusivity, one conditioning machine, a five-day training course, and marketing support from THS.
"Our new partnership with AR&D as well as the exclusive technology and service offerings THS provides to the growing Hybrid market represent a tremendous business opportunity to shop owners and dealer partners," Curry's Auto Service Co-Founder and CEO, Matt Curry states. "As the Hybrid vehicle market continues to expand, Area Dealers and Affiliate Dealers have a unique opportunity to serve Hybrid customers in this growing area, to help them maximize their green footprint and improve the performance and economy of their vehicle in a cost-effective manner, while setting their organizations on a path to continued revenue growth and expansion."
For more information, visit www.go2hev.com.
Subscribe to Motor Age and receive articles like this every month…absolutely free. Click here