Populations of passenger cars and heavy-duty vehicles continue to grow worldwide. In the 2016 World Motor Vehicle Market Report, the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA) and the AASA Overseas Automotive Council identified the global “hot markets.”
In tracking the 10-year global regional growth from 2004-2014 of passenger vehicles in operation (VIO), the Asia region took the top spot with growth of 9 percent from 2004 to 2014, according to the report. The Middle East region was second with growth of 7.2 percent, while Africa and Central/South America regions had a near tie with 5.9 percent and 5.7 percent respectively.
Asia also led passenger car production over the same decade, with 7.9 percent of the market. North America was a close second at 7.7 percent and Central Eastern Europe took the third spot at 6.4 percent.
In heavy-duty (HD) vehicle VIO, North America was the top region with 48 percent of the world’s HD VIO. Asia was second with 22 percent, followed by Europe with 9 percent, Central Eastern Europe with 7 percent and Central & South America with 6 percent.
The AASA OAC World Vehicle Market Report group includes the following countries in the regional data:
· Africa: Algeria, Angola, Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Reunion, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Democratic Republic of the Congo and Zambia
· North American: Canada, Mexico and the U.S.
· Central & South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela
· Asia: Burma (Myanmar), China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Uzbekistan and Vietnam
· Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom
· Central/Eastern Europe: Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia & Montenegro, Cyprus and Turkey
· Middle East: Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Syria
· Oceania: Australia and New Zealand
Now in its 80th edition, the World Motor Vehicle Market Report is one of the industry’s oldest and most respected global statistical analyses. Its information is presented in easy-to-scan charts and graphs along with insightful analysis. Data includes passenger car VIO, production and vehicle parc density. The report also includes statistics on the world medium- and heavy-duty truck markets: VIO, production and density.
AASA recognizes and thanks IHS Inc., its data provider and partner in the 2016 World Motor Vehicle Market Report. IHS is a premier provider of global market, industry and technical expertise.
The World Motor Vehicle Market Report is a benefit for members of AASA and OAC, and is available for free download at the AASA website: www.automotivesuppliers.org. The report is available for purchase by non-members – for more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editor’s note: Ben Brucato is the director of membership and sponsorship of the AASA and executive director of the AASA OAC.
The AASA OAC promotes the sale in foreign markets of automotive and heavy-duty products manufactured in North America. Those products include components, accessories, chemicals, hand and power tools, service maintenance and repair equipment, and paint and body supplies for both cars and trucks. OAC has more than 350 members in more than 40 countries. More information is available through its website, www.oac-intl.org.
AASA exclusively serves manufacturers of aftermarket components, tools and equipment, and related products, which support 710,000 employees in the United States. AASA is a recognized industry change agent – promoting a collaborative industry environment, providing a forum to address issues and serving as a valued resource for members. AASA is the light vehicle aftermarket division of the Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA).
Subscribe to Aftermarket Business World and receive articles like this every month….absolutely free. Click here.