A customer service-centric production arc that includes a circular workflow pattern and the industry's latest technology are among the elements contributing to the success of the Curry Collision Center, which netted gross revenues of $4 million last year.
As part of the Curry Auto Center dealership complex on Auto Mall Road in Bloomington, Ind., the 20-bay structure covering 16,165 square feet represents a culmination of carefully considered design techniques along with efficient and ecologically friendly repair strategies augmented by solid management and marketing.
Established by W.S. Curry in 1915, the fourth-generation family business moved to its current location in 1969. Body shop manager Ron Mueller was instrumental in laying out the details when construction was initiated on a new collision repair facility that opened in 2008.
"It was a group effort" among the principals, Mueller recounts. "We toured a number of shops in the area, took the best of each of them and came up with the design. We knew going in that we wanted the flow to go in a circle. With a circular design, the cars are always in front of you. We have no workbenches; the technicians have all of the materials on carts that can be rolled next to the car they are working on."
It's engineered to be "the most environmentally advanced" body shop throughout southern Indiana, aiming to render "the smallest possible carbon footprint." Among the green concepts are waterborne basecoat paint, a double post filtration system that reduces volatile organic compound emissions and vacuum sanders to capture particle pollutants.