The Auto/Steel Partnership (A/SP) recognized individuals within the Partnership at an exclusive 30th anniversary celebration on Wednesday, April 25 at the Skyline Club in Southfield, Michigan.
The A/SP’s annual award recognition program aims to acknowledge individual members and project teams for their collaboration and innovation to drive the Partnership forward. Award selections were based on project work completed in 2017 and were unanimously chosen by A/SP’s Joint Policy Council. Categories included Individual, Most Valuable Player and Team, and were awarded to the following members:
- Eric Batt, Account Manager, ArcelorMittal
- Changqing Du, Senior Engineering Specialist, FCA US LCC
- Ching-Kuo Hsiung, Process Engineering Group Manager, General Motors Company
Most Valuable Player Award
- Curt Horvath, Technical Fellow, General Motors Company
- AK Steel Research and Innovation, Advanced Engineering - Dr. Yu-Wei Wang, Dr. Chao Pu, Dr. Yueqian Jia, Dr. Wei Wu, John Panagiotis Makrygiannis, Dr. Feng Zhu
Additionally, as part of the 30th anniversary celebration, A/SP recognized four individuals who embraced innovation and made significant contributions in developing pre-competitive solutions enabling steel execution in vehicles. The Excellence Award recipients included:
- Ron Krupitzer, Retired, Vice President, Automotive Market, Steel Market Development Institute
- Roger Heimbuch, Retired, Executive Director, A/SP
- Blake Zuidema, Senior Director, Automotive Product Applications Division, ArcelorMittal
- Larry Sak, Retired, Head of Materials Engineering, FCA US LLC
“The Partnership’s success is a result of collaboration of our auto companies and steel makers, leveraging the intellectual and technical resources to develop pre-competitive lightweight steel solutions to meet the current and future needs of automakers,” said John Catterall, executive director of A/SP. “Our members have proven to be long-time leaders in delivering mass-efficient, high-performing and cost-effective solutions as evident by numerous applications on the road today.”
Formed in 1987, the Auto/Steel Partnership is a consortium of North American automotive companies and the Steel Market Development Institute’s Automotive Applications Council. The Partnership leverages resources of the automotive and steel industries to pursue research, validation and education that have helped automakers enhance vehicle safety and fuel economy and improve design and manufacturing.
Through the Auto/Steel Partnership, automakers and steel companies have worked to drive improvements through projects focused on new steels, manufacturing processes and design challenges, including mass reduction with steel. Auto/Steel Partnership members include AK Steel Corporation, ArcelorMittal, FCA US LLC, Ford Motor Co., General Motors Co., Nucor Corporation, and POSCO. For more information, visit www.a-sp.org.